Thursday, September 10, 2009

Women with Style: Tracey Tarrantino


Did you ever wonder who is the force behind some of the most exciting fashion shows in Chicago? Tracey Tarrantino is the powerhouse fashion producer who is producing World Fashion Chicago for the fourth year in a row on September 30th, a highlight of the Chicago Sister Cities and our design community.  She has also worked internationally producing shows in Berlin, as well as bi-coastally traveling with Cintas and Levis.  In Chicago she has also produced shows with Chanel, Max Mara, Escada, Luca Luca, Ultimo, Oprah, and various magazines and  charities.  Along with her great sense of knowing what looks best on her size 2 frame, Tracey's best style embraces giving back to the Chicago community that she loves and continues to support.

To learn more about Tracey's style, I sat down recently with my dear friend. And by the way, our friendship dates back to the days when she & her then boyfriend, now husband, gave us disco dancing lessons for our club Faces & she shopped in my boutique, Bottega Glaseia.

Barbara Glass: What is your definition of style?
Tracey Tarrantino: Style is a distinct manner of expression about how things are worn.  I love fashionable elegance. The way a fabric drapes and moves really makes a difference to me. Coco Chanel & Valentino have influenced my personal Style. Their fit and color combinations are timeless.  I am a strong advocate of working with the right proportions that fit and flatter your figure.  Trends can come and go but pure style remains forefront of fashion.

BG: What is the one item that you can't live without in your closet?  
TT: I cannot live with out my wraps. The first one I purchased was from Bottega Glassia in the 80's.  I have been passionate about my capes ever since.
 

BG: Finish this sentence, "A perfect outfit for me is...."
TT: By day: leggings and a skinny draped cashmere sweater belted and an added scarf.  By night a little Black dress trimmed with layers of pearls.  I love to finish my look with a wrap and I love using color as an accent.

BG: Where is your favorite place to shop in Chicago?  
TT: With so many terrific stores and designers I could have a list from A- Armani to Z-Zara with an Escada & Ultimo in between!  Chicago's has a vast amount of fashion talent.  Each season more exciting designers and their collections are unveiled.  Its a great day to get dressed in Chicago.

BG: What trend would you like to see disappear?  
TT: Ripped jeans.  Enough said!

BG: What advice would you give to someone who wanted to follow in your footsteps?  
TT: Work hard and believe in what you are doing. There is no other way around it.  Keep your energy positive. Use your courage to give you the strength to face a challenge.  When something goes right tell yourself there's more where that came from and when it doesn't try again!  Fear is not a fact.

BG: Tell me something about you that would surprise people. 
TT: I love to garden.  I have three small dogs.  They often are styled and given make overs at home too!  Movement is my mantra, and yes, I still love a dance class now after all these years!  Classically trained with Stone and Camryn but had my feet in the soil luckily with Chicago's Gus Giordano and Lou Conte studios.  Today I embrace a good yoga class and am still attending ballet classes at Salt Creek Ballet.  Namaste!

Thanks again Tracey!  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment