Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Women with Style: Marisa Murillo

Marisa Murillo is a woman who knows how to follow her dreams. A Yale graduate in economics and law school at USC lead her to the position of Associate at Kirland & Ellis. Her chic style is about always looking professional but with an edge of being both modern & elegant. Even during her pregnancy Marisa continues to dress with her exceptional style. 

My friend Marisa is someone who enjoys giving back as she was a guest speaker for my class at IIT with students from "After School Matters." I sat down with her recently to unfold her secrets to success and dress.

Barbara Glass: What is your definition of style?

Marisa Murillo: Style is using your clothes to express a part of yourself and your identity.  If you're not using your clothes as a form of self-expression, then in my opinion you can't honestly say that you have great style.  Your clothes should communicate for you when you enter a room.  For example, if I have a meeting, I want my clothes to be well tailored and pressed as a way of saying that I'm on top of things.  My mum and my grandmother are very savvy dressers; they instilled this in me.



BG: So I usually ask the people I interview to describe a perfect outfit for them - but, since you are now several months pregnant, I thought it would be fun to ask you to describe your perfect maternity outfit!

MM: My ideal outfit is a loose-fitting dress -- I have a great one by Marni -- over maternity leggings.  For work, I will choose a more polished loose-fitting dress and ballet flats. 


BG: What are you looking forward to wearing from your closet after you have your baby?

MM: I love to wear dresses and jackets with fitted waists.  Since my first trimester, these have gotten pushed to the back of the closet, but I'll wear them again soon.

 

BG: Where is your favorite place to shop in Chicago?

MM: It's a toss up between Barney's and Blake.  Also, believe it or not, Ebay has wonderful vintage clothes.


For the traveler, I would suggest the following stores:

- Forty Five Ten in Dallas

- By George in Austin

- Marni in Soho, NYC

- Collette and Antoine & Lilli (of Amelie fame) in Paris

- Capitol in Charlotte, NC

- American Rag in LA (vintage section)

- Any Neiman Marcus Last Call in Texas


BG: What trend would you like to see disappear?

MM: Shorts and high heels, whether they are boots or platforms, do not appeal to me.  Shorts and opaque or patterned tights do not appeal to me either. 


BG: What advice would you give to someone who wanted to follow in your footsteps as a lawyer?

MM: (1) I would tell them to work very hard.  There's a steep learning curve in this profession so you've got to work a lot in your early years to absorb everything coming your way.  (2) I would also advise them to find a few good mentors.  Unlike other professions, practicing law is a vocation -- like being a seamstress or a goldsmith.   Someone has to take you under their wings and show you how to do this.  There is no replacement for having a mentor to guide you and support you.  (3) I would tell them to take their vacations -- always -- to avoid burn out.


BG: Tell me something about you that would surprise people.

MM: I'm a Texan.  I was born and raised in Houston, TX and I've been to the rodeo.


Thanks again Marisa for being a great friend and supporter - you're truly an inspiration!

1 comment:

  1. What a bright, fashion forward and pretty young woman. Can I get her phone number? Demetri Alexander

    ReplyDelete