Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Women with Style: Kathy O'Malley Piccone


They call her the Queen of Rush Street. Before Kathy O’Malley Piccone was elevated to this status, our paths crossed when she worked for me at the local fixture, Faces, the former Gold Coast disco where I was president and co-founder.  Today any visitor, frequent or first timer, cannot walk through the doors of Gibson’s, one of our favorite steakhouses, without encountering Kathy. As managing partner, her presence is everywhere in this landmark restaurant that attracts the city's leading politicians, athletes, and anyone who is on the list of who's who in personalities and regulars.

Kathy's style of dress has always been professional with a major dose of sassiness, but it is her ability to connect with the public,  with her endearing smile, that is her greatest trademark.

I recently sat down with my friend Kathy to unfold some of her thoughts on style…

Barbara Glass: What is your definition of style?
Kathy O'Malley Piccone: Style is always your personal expression.  I try to be Lady like in the way I dress, but always figure flattering.  Vintage pulls at my heart strings from time to time and draping is goddess like, so flattering when strategically placed.

I try to ignore "trends" to a point but also want to stay in the loop of things but not be a cookie cutter.  And then comes along a HOT item..That I have to have.. Usually something from N.Y. or a hard core rocker piece from L.A.  which I'll always soften up..I often find myself in business chic; a feminine, structured look.

Then there are leggings or straight leg pants, and or a mini with the perfect tights, and sweaters or long tops, shoes and all kinds boots - I love love that look!  And then, on a special occasion evening, glamour!

BG: What is the one item in your closet you couldn't live without?
KOP: My "Northbeach" leather pants. Oh Sorry two things............ SHOES!

BG: Finish this sentence, "A perfect outfit for me is..."
KOP: Sexy comfy (worn) jeans with my cowboy boots and a sweet top.  I am a little bit "country!"

BG: Where’s your favorite place to shop in Chicago?
KOP: All local boutiques, local designers, and stores.  Actually I really don't like to shop, I usually do it here out of "necessity" and usually at the last minute, unless I'm on vacation and then I have fun doing it.  But I love shopping for someone else!!!

BG: What trend would you like to see disappear? 
KOP: Low rise pants where people have muffin tops showing...Don't they have friends to tell them how it looks ?  And men with pants hanging off their backside.  

BG: What advice would you give to someone who wants to follow in your business footsteps?
KOP: Always try to stay one step ahead of the game .. Stay focused,smile and be pleasant, especially when you’re under pressure because it’s always a special occasion for your customers and you’re making memories.  And wear comfortable shoes!  Bring at least 2-3 pairs to get you through the shift. (Start with the highest pair of heels or boots and work your way down to the lowest, and at the end of the shift work your way back up. Ha ha! Just have fun!)

BG: Tell me something about you that would surprise people.
KOP: I'm a really a home body girl who loves to cook and iron - it's my therapy! Ha ha!  And believe it or not -I am really shy!  Aleast when I'm not in my work mode!

Thanks again to Kathy for being a great friend and a great person to interview!

No comments:

Post a Comment