Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Women with Style: Thea Robinson

In addition to being the Area Manager at Burberry & recently being honored with the Burberry Icon Award as the top store manager in the Americas, Thea Robinson has an impressive educational & retail background . She studied Fashion Design & Marketing in London, received her MBA in International Business and took business & fashion classes at the well respected St. Martin. While studying in London she claims she did every job imaginable including working for Louis Vuitton to working backstage during London Fashion Week for designer stars like Alexander McQueen & Antonio Beradi. She states, "My experiences were the best education and are my greatest awards." Thea's style is indeed a reflection of her rich background, dressing in a classic Burberry look with an edge, preferring dresses & skirt suits. She is definitely one of Chicago's style leaders.

I sat down recenlty with my friend Thea to reveal some of the secrets to her success.  

Barbara Glass:  What is your definition of style?
Thea Robinson: I love acronyms. STYLE is:
Staying
True to
Yourself while
Living on the
Edge of Fashion

BG:  What is the one item that you can't live without in your closet? 
TR:  A very large handbag.  My bags seem to get bigger, but the designs and fabrications keep evolving, it is amazing.  They are practical and they contain everything we need.

BG: Finish this sentence, a perfect outfit for me is...?
TR:  A beautifully designed dress, outfitted with a fabulous (Burberry) coat, accessorized with the perfect handbag and stunning shoes.
 

BG:  Where is your favorite place to shop in Chicago other than Burberry?
TR:  Lately, it is the Broadway Antiques Market.  Recently, I was shopping for furniture and found my fate in a gorgeous blond mink fur capelet in immaculate condition, for less than a fraction of the current retail prices.   The assortment and quality of goods there are impressive, and the staff is helpful and friendly.

BG:  What trend would you like to see disappear?
TR:  The dreadful wearing the pants belted below the bum.  It is horrible and needs to die FAST! 

BG:  Tell me something about you that would surprise people.
TR:  My experience in the world of fashion and retail is extremely diverse and has been very entertaining.  I once worked in a children's showroom in the Atlanta Apparel Mart.  The owners asked if I wanted to join them at a concert their sons were playing in.  Little did I know,  they were the parents of Chris and Rich Robinson, The Black Crowes.

Thanks again to Thea Robinson for being such a great friend and supporter for all these years!  

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic interview!

    -R.B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Thea so much! When I think about fashion icons of Chicago, my mind immediately creates images of Thea Robinson and Barbara Glass. Cheers to Chicago fashion!

    ReplyDelete