Monday, July 13, 2009

Women with Style: Susanna Negovan

In addition to keeping you all up to date with the latest fashion and style news and tips, I think it is important to highlight some of Chicago's most stylish businesswomen.  To start, I sat down with my good friend, and editor-in-chief at Michigan Avenue Magazine, Susanna Negovan, Chicago's very own Eva Longoria look-alike (don't you think so)!  

Barbara: Finish this sentence, style to me is...
Susanna Negovan: For me, style is the art of using fashion to bring to life your personal identity.  Mine is "Magazine Editrix!"
B: What is the one item in your closet that you absolutely can't live without? 
S: Some articles of clothing have such strong memories attached - like the Alberta Ferretti pink halter top I wore the night I met my husband.  Or the Calvin Tran top I wore in my Sun-Times column headshot.  I also have a vintage fuchsia ball skirt covered in gold beading that I bought at Lulu's at the Belle Kay (3862 N. Lincoln) five years ago.  I wore it to Glamorama one year and Matthew Williamson told me he loved it - a triumphant fashion moment for me!
B: What is your favorite place to shop in Chicago?
S: Hands down it's Lulu's at the Belle Kay - almost all of my party-wear is vintage, and her accessories are outstanding.  I also love shopping the big departments store sales - Neiman's, Saks, Barneys, etc.  One of my favorite lesser-known boutiques is Calypso on Oak St. for their Caribbean-inspired clothes.
B: Finish this sentence, a perfect outfit for me is...
S: Usually pretty basic with one big accessory; like a simple black dress with the giant Iradj Moini cocktail ring my husband bought me for my birthday.
B: Tell me something about you that would surprise people.
S: As an editor, people assume you get everything for free - not true!  But I do have access to some of the best sample sales and my friends always joke about my ability to find outrageous deals.  So when we're shopping and see a store is having a 30, 40 or 50% off sale I tell them, "Hold out, not good enough!"
B: What trend would you like to see disappear?
S: I let a manicurist talk me into a French manicure a few weeks ago and I hated myself for it - it's such a dated look, especially when women have long nails.  Don't even get me started on French pedicures!  

Special thanks again to Susanna for letting me interview her and stay tuned for more Women with Style!  

No comments:

Post a Comment