Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Men of Style: Donald Madia

When it comes to Chicago fashion & style, no best dressed list would be complete without the addition of restaurantuer Donald J. Madia. Is there anyone in Chicago or beyond, like many epicurean tourists, who hasn't heard of, or dined at, Blackbird, Avec, or his newest restaurant, Publican?  Or partied at The Violet Hour & Sonotheque? When I had dinner with Karl Lagerfeld several years ago, I exposed him to dinning at my favorite Donald Madia restaurant, Blackbird. Of course he too was impressed which is no easy feat with a international traveler & designer. I recently celebrated my b-day at my favorite choice and sat down to interview my friend Donald.


Barbara Glass:  What is your definition of style?

Donald Madia: I loved the cut of the suits in Bobby Kennedy's '68 presidential campaign.  Also, Fellini films and any early Fred Astaire films, circa 1920's through the 40's.


BG:  What is the one item that you can't live without in your closet? 

DM:  A pair of Gucci wide-leg flares that I wear with dress shoes or Chuck Taylors.


BG:  Finish this sentence - a perfect outfit for me is...

DM:  I don't think about things like that.


BG:  Where is your favorite place to shop in Chicago?

DM:  Barneys New York.  If in New York, Leffot for shoes and Apt. 9 and Hejfina


BG:  What trend would you like to see disappear?

DM:  I can't answer that because I like everything. To paraphrase Nicolas Cage in Wild at Heart, "This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief...in personal freedom."


BG:  Tell me something about you that would surprise people.

DM:  I like Cheetos.


Thanks again for the interview Donnie!

1 comment:

  1. What an interesting interview.
    Love it!

    -R.B.

    ReplyDelete